Sometimes after posting to Twitter I’ll decide that I should really archive the information as a blog post. For single tweets that’s as easy (or difficult) as copying the text and images and publishing. For Twitter threads, it could be a lot more complicated. With a bit of lateral thinking I’ve found an easy way to do it.
- Get the URL to a post in the thread
- Unroll the thread using threadreaderapp.com
- Open the web inspector
- Highlight the element that contains the content (the one with
- Right click, and choose Copy > HTML
- Paste the HTML into this Markdown converter
- Copy the Markdown
- Paste into your blogging system
The conversion from HTML to Markdown cleans or sanitises the content making for a straightforward paste into most blogging software.
- You might want to repoint all embedded images from Twitter to locally-hosted copies
- Some images in long threads might be lazy loaded, so you’ll need to fix those
- Check and reinstate any embedded video iframes